Raising A Million Trees - Participatory Tree Plantation Campaign
Our work with the nomadic communities involves continuous travelling across Gujarat. At some point, we have been witness to the changing landscape across the countryside. Travelling through the parched regions we see thousands of acres of barren land waiting to be covered in green once again. To increase the green cover of the water-starved and drought-prone regions, VSSM initiated massive Tree Plantation campaign in some of the aridest regions it works.Some salient features of this campaign are
- The entire campaign is carried out in partnership with the village leadership and panchayat. There is some contribution from the village in terms of sharing the remuneration of the person appointed to take care of the planted trees. The village body has to spare land to carry out the plantation and make provision for water. The leadership will be responsible for the survival of each planted tree.
- Care will be taken to ensure that the trees selected are ones that can easily grow in the region, ones that have always been around/native to the region, are shade- giving, ones that birds prefer to perch and nest upon, flower well, bear fruits to attract the birds and the bees. The trees that are planted these days do grow fast, but birds do not prefer to build their nests on it. VSSM got in touch with Forest Department for procuring tree saplings at no or low cost.
under plantation drive
|Sr.No.||Block||No. of Villages||No. of Sites||Total No. of Trees Planted||Total No. of Trees Survived||Survival Rate%|
- 2021-22: 15,000 saplings that are planted at the nursery are for the vegetables to be used in Kakar hostel and will be given in surrounding villages. 55,000 saplings are being grown for the plantation.
- 2022-23: 15,000 saplings will be planted for the vegetables as the older 15,000 plants for vegetable will be used in 2021-22. 55,000 plants which are planted in 2021-22, will be put in bigger bags as they will be grown. 55,000 new saplings will be planted in the bags. Thus, there will be total 1.10 lakh plants will be grown in the nursery by the year 2022-23. These plants will be planted in the soil in 2023-24.
- 2023-24: 15,000 saplings will be planted anew for the vegetables as the older 15,000 plants for vegetable will be used. The plants planted in 2021-22 and 2022-23 will be planted in various tree plantation sites in 2023-24. Thus, there will be no plants left in the nursery in 2023-24. Thus, we will be making 185 new beds in 2023-24. These 1.70 lakhs will be planted on various sites by 2024-25. Later, every year 1.70 lakh saplings for the plantation from the year 2024-25 onwards.